Get Healthy-Stay Healthy!
Being healthy is important for you, your family, and the community. Good health not only makes for
a more fulfilling and enjoyable life, but the adoption of healthy lifestyle behaviors matched with
proper healthcare, can prevent many diseases and conditions that impact the physical and economic
well-being of our entire community.
Identifying Richmond’s Health Issues:
The Mayor established a Blue Ribbon Commission on Health Policy as a direct result of his concerns
about disparity in health outcomes across the Richmond community. The Commission -- which is made up
of health experts including physicians, hospital executives, mental health and clinical providers,
and members of the community -- worked together to identify critical health issues facing the City of
Focus areas to improve Richmond’s health:
The Mayor’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Health Policy identified numerous factors that contribute to
disparity and poor health, but they were able to prioritize and agreed on five recommendations to
forward to the Mayor that they believed would make the most impact on improving the health and
well-being of Richmond residents:
- Healthy Richmond Campaign - promoting healthy lifestyle behaviors and participating in various
initiatives to improve the health of Richmond’s residents,
- Health and Social Equity - impacting policy by creating an infrastructure that promotes
- Behavioral Health - addressing prevention and intervention for at-risk youth and families,
- Medical Homes for the Uninsured - eliminating barriers that impact access to health care,
- Support for Healthcare Providers - encouraging health care providers to practice in underserved areas
of the community.
- Get Healthy-Stay Healthy!
Under the Mayor’s Healthy Richmond Campaign, the City will actively engage the public with a variety
of health promotion and health education activities while encouraging individuals and the community
to proactively be a part of the Healthy Richmond concept of getting healthy and staying healthy.
Some of the Commission's and focus areas that are part of the Healthy Richmond Campaign are:
- The Pedestrian, Bicycling and Trails Commission
- The Breastfeeding Commission
- Richmond Let’s Move! Initiative
- Active Seniors and Special Populations
- Food Policy Task Force
Message from the Mayor
Mayor Dwight C. Jones introduced the Healthy Richmond Campaign on Thursday, October 20, 2011
during the City’s Employee Health and Safety Fair at the Greater Richmond Convention Center.
For more information,
to view the press release.
Mayor's Blue Ribbon Commission on Health Policy
The final report of the Mayor's Blue Ribbon Commission. (2.7 MB)