Last Updated: 2009-08-20

Who can I contact if I think a child is being neglected?

Please call the Richmond Department of Social Services Hotline at (804)646-0438. You can also call the state Child Protective Services Hotline (800)552-7096.

My child continues to stay out all night. Where can I get help?

Please call out Truancy and Diversion Center at (804)646-8976. Our Diversion staff will gladly assist in this area.

My child has been assigned to perform community service. How do I find out about this service?

Please call (804)646-6971. Our Community Service Coordinator will provide information about orientation (youth must attend with parent/guardian) and participation.

Where can I get the name of my child's probation or parole officer?

The 13th District Court Service Unit at the Oliver Hill Courts Building can supply this information. You can call (804)646-2900.

Why does my child have to have his/her blood drawn for DNA?

Virginia law requires that any person 14 years of age or older, who is convicted of a felony, must submit to this procedure.

Why does there have to be a separate system for juvenile and adults?

The juvenile court movement started in the United States in the early 1900's. This was a time when similar movements governing child labor, child abuse and neglect., etc., were popular. The movement for juvenile courts was established by persons who believed that children should be treated differently than adults because they did not possess the same level of knowledge and maturity as adults; thus, they should not be held to the same legal standards as adults.

Why do 'you' give these kids so many chances?

With the exception of very serious offenses, both the juvenile and adult justice systems generally give offenders an opportunity to demonstrate that they can learn from their mistake. These chances are usually combined with probation supervision to ensure the safety of the community and services to help the person overcome whatever deficits they may have, such as substance abuse, job training, etc.

What's the difference between probation and parole?

The judge places a juvenile on probation for an offense to give the juvenile the opportunity to change the behavior causing the problem thus keeping the juvenile out of further trouble. Parole supervision is similar to probation where rules and regulations are concerned. However, parole supervision follows incarceration in a juvenile correctional center.

When kids get committed to the Department of Juvenile Justice, how long do they have to stay?

This depends on the type of commitment the juvenile received. If indeterminately committed by the judge, the juvenile's length of stay (LOS) can be 3 months to a maximum 36 months. An estimated LOS will be projected at the Reception & Diagnostic Center; however, the actual time spent incarcerated depends on serveral factors, including completion of treatment, good behavior, placement plan for transition back to the community, etc. If determinately committed, the judge will determine when the juvenile is released; however, no juvenile can be held in a juvenile correctional facility past their 21st birthday.

What is the Reception and Diagnostic Center?

This state-owned facility was established in 1969 and occupied in 1970 to receive, evaluate, and place all juveniles committed to the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice. The budget capacity of the facility is 166 juveniles and serves the Commonwealth as the reception and classification center for all juveniles committed to the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice.

The services provided at the Reception and Diagnostic Center in evaluation and classification render confinement for all juveniles committed to the Department of Juvenile Justice while they undergo academic, medical, psychological, behavioral, and sociological evaluation and classification to determine appropriate treatment, needs, institutional placement recommendation, and a length of stay projection. (1601 Old Bon Air Rd., Richmond, VA 23235 (804)323-2600)

Where are the state Juvenile Correctional Centers located?

Beaumont JCC, with a budgeted capacity of 322, is utilized for the incarceration of older adjudicated males up to age 21. (P.O. Box 491, Beaumont, VA 23014 (804)556-3316)

Bon Air JCC serves an all male population with an average age of 16 who have been convicted of crimes ranging from misdemeanors to felonies. Lengths of commitment can be a minimum of 3-6 months to a maximum of 7 years or until the age of 21. (1900 Chatsworth Ave., Bon Air, VA 23235 (804)323-2550)

Culpeper JCC, designed for maximum security, is the first juvenile justice facility in the Commonwealth to house both a correctional center and a detention center. The correctional center houses 18-20 year-old Circuit Court male offenders. Therapeutic treatment services and programs (sex offender, substance abuse, and anger management) are provided for correctional center residents. (12240 Coffeewood Dr., Mitchels, VA 22729 (540)291-2129)

Hanover JCC, budgeted to accommodate 154 juveniles, serves males ages 12-18. Therapeutic treatment services and programs (sex offender, substance abuse, and anger management) are provided for residents. (P.O. Box 507, Hanover, VA 23069 (804)537-5316 )

Natural Bridge serves male juveniles ages 14-20 who exhibit a variety of offenses and are assigned there on the basis of a demonstrated ability to function in an open setting within the framework of a structured program. Residents also participate in a transitional program where they learn citizenship beyond the institution, including social and work responsibilities. (1425 Arnolds Valley Rd., Natural Bridge Station, VA 24579 (540)291-2129)

Oak Ridge houses 40 male offenders with developmental disabilities and devere behavioral disorders. Residents typically have an extensive history of maladaptive behavior and some have been committed for serious offenses. Sex offender and substance abuse treatment programs are provided. (1801 Old Bon Air Rd., Bon Air, Richmond, VA 23235 (804)323-2335)

Now that I'm an adult, how can I get information about my juvenile court record?

Please call the Clerk's Office at the Richmond Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court at (804)646-2942.

Contact Information:

Department of Justice Services
City of Richmond
730 E. Broad Street, 8th Floor
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Phone: (804)646-5987
Fax: (804)646-3269

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.