Join Our Team
Welcome to the Richmond City Police Department.
As Chief of Police, I welcome you to our website. I am extremely proud of the dedication, professionalism, and expertise our police officers bring to our organization on a daily basis. I am pleased you are taking the time to visit this site to learn more about us and our efforts in the communities we serve.
As Virginia’s capital, Richmond is a progressive city offering beautiful neighborhoods characterized by striking architecture, a culturally diverse population and noted historic prestige. Our community policing strategies provide you with a wide range of skill development opportunities, from increasing your problem solving abilities to enhancing your interpersonal skills, the Richmond City Police Department is here to provide you with a tremendous opportunity for professional growth and advancement.
The Richmond City Police Department is proud to be one of only four law enforcement agencies in Virginia that have been accredited by both the Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission (VLEPSC).
Our Department’s 5 Focus Points encompass:
- 1. Sector/Community Policing – expanding upon our successes
- 2. Professionalism – maintaining or increasing the level of professionalism in our encounters
- 3. Outside the Box Thinking – constantly reinventing ourselves
- 4. Accountability – holding the community just as accountable for their safety as we hold ourselves
- 5. Trust Account – making several deposits into our community trust account
I encourage you to schedule a ride along to learn more about the Richmond City Police Department and the many opportunities available in our organization.
Chief Ray Tarasovic
To view the the recruitment video in Windows Media Player format,
click the appropriate link below.
High Bandwidth Video
Low Bandwidth Video