Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you think you smell natural gas,
leave the area immediately and call 911. For more information, visit
the Natural Gas Safety page.
Equal Monthly Payment Plan
The EMPP budget plans spreads your annual gas bill over
12 months. The estimated monthly payment is based on the
previous year's natural gas usage. Accounts are reviewed
and adjusted each year in August. Call (804)646-7000.
This city-sanctioned program, administered by United Way Services and partner agencies, assists families and individuals experiencing special hardships or financial difficulties with their heating bills. The application period runs from Dec. 15 to April 30 each year.
If your income falls below the Federal Poverty Guidelines, you are unemployed, or have a family crisis, apply at one of the following locations:
Capital Area Partnership Uplifting People (CAPUP)
1021 Oliver Hill Way
(9:30 a.m.- Noon and 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.)
Salvation Army Central Virginia Area Command
2 W. Grace St.
(8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.)
The maximum amount of assistance is $500. For more information, call (804)646-7000.
Special Payment Agreement Plans
If you're facing financial difficulty and need a special payment plan, call (804)646-7000.
The Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled program
is administered by the city's Finance Department. If you are eligible for this
program, you will be exempt from solid waste and recycling fees on your utility bill.
For more information, call (804)646-5700 and press 3.
Senior Care Program
The Department of Public Utilities offers several programs for seniors including:
- Winter Service Assurance - Any shut-off orders between Dec. 1 and March 31 are suspended.
- No senior late fees - Customers whose accounts are marked as seniors do not incur late fees.
- Security deposit waiver - Deposits are waived for transferring and restoring services for seniors.
- Weatherization kits - Kits containing energy saving items such as weather stripping and window covers are made available each fall.
- Third Party Notification - Seniors can designate a third party to receive a copy of their utility bill or to inquire about past due balances on their behalf.
For more information, download the Senior Weatherization Brochure
or call (804)646-7000 or 311.
Low Income Heating Energy Assistance
A fuel assistance program, Low Income Heating Energy Assistance, is administered
by the Department of Social Services, (804)646-7046. Many organizations such as
the United Way, Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army, area churches, or Dominion
Virginia Power's Energy Share program may have fuel assistance programs.
MetroCare Water Assistance Program
The MetroCare Water Assistance Program was established to assist certain eligible DPU residential
customers with paying their water utility bills. Approved applicants could receive a credit adjustment
toward billed water and wastewater charges.
You MUST make an appointment with an intake partnering agency and bring your paperwork to them or fill it out on site.
Official Intake Agencies
- Capital Area Partnership Uplifting People (CAPUP) - (804)788-0050
- Salvation Army - (804)225-7470
Department of Social Services Locations (for existing clients only)
Marshall Plaza Building
Southside Community Service Center
East District Initiative