Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you think you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 911. For more information, visit the Natural Gas Safety page.

Where do I mail my payments?

Mail payments to city of Richmond Department of Public Utilities, P.O. Box 26060, Richmond, VA 23274-0001.

You can also drop your payment envelope, unstamped, into the Utility Payment drop box at the following locations:

  • East End District Office, 701 N. 25th St.
  • Southside District, 4100 Hull Street Road
  • City Hall on 10th Street between Marshall and Broad streets
  • Some bank branches of Premiere Bank and Wells Fargo also accept payments.

Payments mailed or made at locations other than City Hall may take at least five days to post to your account. Payments made at locations other than City Hall must be paid in full.

If my utility service is off and I pay my bill, when can I get my service restored?

Normally service is restored the next day after your payment has posted. However, you may have the service turned back on the same day for an additional $35 if there is an opening in the schedule. Call (804)646-4646 to set up your service request.

Are there any heating assistance programs for those in need?

A fuel assistance program, Low Income Heating Energy Assistance, is administered by the Department of Social Services, (804)646-7046. Many organizations such as the United Way, Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army, area churches, or Dominion Virginia Power's Energy Share program may have fuel assistance programs.

Can I enroll in the equal monthly payment plan if my account balance is not current?

No, your account must be current.

I'm a senior (or disabled) citizen. Are there any programs to help me reduce my utility bill?

The Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled program is administered by the city's Finance Department and if you are eligible for this program, you will be exempt from solid waste and recycling fees on your utility bill. For more information, call (804)646-5700 and press 3.

RVA Impact Map displays projects (i.e. gas, water, paving, etc.), events (i.e. parades, races, block parties, etc.) and right of way impacts (i.e. detours, partial and full lane closures, barricades, parking restrictions, etc.) as an interactive map for informational and navigational purposes. Data displayed is refreshed as changes are made.

Contact Information:

Public Utilities
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad St.,
Room 115
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Phone: (804)646-4646
Interested in learning about how our award winning water is treated and transported to your home or how the water that leaves your home is treated and placed back into the James River? Request a tour of our Water Treatment Plant or Wastewater Treatment Plant. Click here to fill out the form.

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.