Richmond, VA > Public Works
Richmond VA > Public Works > Transportation Engineering

Last Updated: 2016-04-11


Public Works' Transportation Engineering Division is responsible for making sure that vehicles and people move safely and effectively throughout the city.  This is accomplished through design of travel ways, proper use of regulatory controls and collection and analysis of data that helps identify problems and potential solutions.

Traffic Engineering maintains the City's traffic signals and determines placement and usage of regulatory signage, (such as stop, yield, and speed limit signs), as well as street name signs.  Residents and motorists can help by reporting problems with equipment or signs to the City's Customer Care Center at 3-1-1

The Division works with citizens, developers, and contractors to assist in planning of new subdivisions, location of driveways, and design of road improvements, as well as working jointly with communities to develop solutions to traffic problems.

Things you should know about the Transportation Engineering Division

The Division promotes: transportation harmonization, i.e., combining proven traffic engineering safety and efficiency methods in a manner that supports neighborhood/business area livability and viability.  This often is in the form of traffic calming which promotes more positive guidance of traffic flow and increases street aesthetics.  Examples include roundabouts and residential traffic circles.

The City has an active traffic calming program - Chokers, neighborhood traffic calming circles, speed tables, splitters, and raised crosswalks are the more common traffic techniques promoted in the City.  As an important part of the transportation harmonization program, most traffic calming options rely on landscaping to reinforce their presence and traffic direction focus.

Roundabout Speed Bump

  Neighborhood Traffic Calming Circle                                               Speed Table

Traffic Chokers - 29th St & Perry St Traffic Splitters - Westbrook Ave Raised Cross Walk - 10th St

      Traffic Choker                                    Traffic Splitter                                     Raised Cross Walk

The Division has a comprehensive pedestrian safety program.  To promote pedestrian safety, a variety of measures are used including:

  • Enhanced pedestrian crossings (pavement markings and textured crosswalks); and
  • Pedestrian WALK/DON'T WALK signal heads and pedestrian count-down indications (these show time allotted to cross the street).
Crosswalk Crosswalk Sign                          

                                     Pedestrian Cross Walk                              Cross Walk Sign

Traffic Control

The Division is responsible for the installation, maintenance and operations of traffic signals, school zone flashers, hazard identification beacons and closed circuit TV cameras.  We have a traffic operations center to manage traffic signal timings and responding to planned events.

Traffic Lights Downtown Traffic Speed Lights Traffic Control Cente

          Traffic Signal                                  School Zone Flasher                            Traffic Control Center

Bicycle Infrastructure

The Division is responsible for the installation of bicycle infrastructure such as shared lane markings (sharrows), bike lanes and bike racks:

Shared Bicycle Lanes Bicycle Cycle Track Bicycle Rack

Shared Lane Markings                            Bicycle Cycle Track                                       Bicycle Rack

Manchester Bridge Bike Lanes MLK Bike Lanes

Manchester Bridge Bike Lane                             Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge Bike Lane     

Parking in the City

      - The following links are available for additional information on parking:

Parking Meter - Machine                  Tow Sign - No Parking                                  

                       Parking Meter - Machine                              Tow Sign - No Parking

Additional Information

      - The links listed below provide additional information on transportation in the City:


Frequently Asked Questions

I need to temporarily work in the city streets.  What approval is needed?

You will need to apply for a work-in-street permit.  Applications are available in Room 110 of City Hall from the
Planning and Develpment Review Department.  Phone: (804)646-4169.  Bring a drawing of the improvements with the application.  Fees for the permits range from $20 to $100.  Right of way management.

How can I get a loading zone established or removed?

Call (804)646-0999 and ask.   We will need the location and information about the nature of the businesses in the area.   We will review the location in the field and make a recommendation that will benefit the area.

The parking meters are broken.  Who do I call?

Call 3-1-1 to report such problems.  Please have the street address if possible so we can find it quickly.

I need a hauling or moving permit.  How do I apply for one?

The Division handles the hauling permits. Call (804)646-3840 [ Fax: (804)646-6629 ] for information.
An application for hauling permit form  (click on for link) can be printed and sent with your payment of
$25 to the following address:

      Department of Public Works
      900 E. Broad Street, Room 701
      Richmond, VA 23219
     Map It

Restricted Structures in the City of Richmond? (link):  Map & List

I would like to close a street to hold a special event.  What do I need to do?

The Richmond Police Department handles the street closing requests.
Call (804)646-1343 for more information.

The following links are also available for your information:

Additional Resources

Contact Information:

Dept of Public Works
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad St., Suite 704
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Hours: Monday -Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Customer Care Center: 3-1-1
or (804)646-7000


Logo for 311

If you have any questions, please call the City’s Customer Care Center at 3-1-1 or (804) 646-7000

RVA Impact Map displays projects (i.e. gas, water, paving, etc.), events (i.e. parades, races, block parties, etc.) and right of way impacts (i.e. detours, partial and full lane closures, barricades, parking restrictions, etc.) as an interactive map for informational and navigational purposes. Data displayed is refreshed as changes are made.

Visit our Twitter Page

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.