- Juror Clerk
Are you at least 21 years old and looking for a Great Career?
If so, “building a better tomorrow” for yourself can start today as a Deputy Sheriff with the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office.
The Richmond City Sheriff’s Office is seeking qualified persons who are interested in a career in corrections and law enforcement. We desire individuals who are dedicated and committed to providing quality service to the community. It is essential that our Deputy Sheriffs possess the highest standards of personal and professional integrity, commitment, and dependability. If you want a challenging and rewarding experience and wish to work with other dedicated professionals, the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office encourages YOU to apply.
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements: 21 years of age, U.S. Citizen, High school diploma or GED equivalent, valid driver’s license with driving record in good standing, no domestic violence convictions, no felony convictions or serious misdemeanors or felony nolle prosse charges, and undergo an extensive background investigation, credit history check, polygraph examination and medical examination/drug screening through the Richmond City Sheriff’s Office.
We offer the following benefits:
- Virginia Retirement System retirement with hazardous duty supplement for Deputies
- Career advancement opportunities
- 11 paid holidays
- 12 vacation days per year
- 15 days military leave per military fiscal year
- 15 days sick leave accrued per year
- Group Health Insurance
- Basic life insurance
- Optional disability and family life insurance available
- Optional Deferred Compensation Retirement
- Uniforms and equipment provided
Deputy Sheriffs are trained as jail Officers, Courtroom Security Officers and Civil Process Officers. The Sheriff’s Office also offers additional career opportunities through the following specialized positions: Honor Guard Unit, Transportation Officer, Inmate Community Services Crew, Certified Law Enforcement Instructors, and Classification Officer. All new Deputy Sheriffs appointed by the Sheriff are assigned to the Division of Jail Operations and perform the duties of a Jail Officer prior to becoming eligible for other assignments which may become available with the Sheriff’s Office. Check us out and see if you have what it takes to become a Richmond Deputy Sheriff.
You may download our Recruitment Brochure for more information.
Information for Applicants
Any person employed as a Deputy Sheriff with this agency shall:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have a High School Diploma or its recognized equivalent (GED)
- Not have been convicted of any Felony charge
- Not have been convicted of sufficient misdemeanors (including traffic offenses) to establish a pattern of disregard for the law
- Not have been convicted of a domestic violence offense
- Be fingerprinted and a search will be made of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record
- Possess good moral character as determined by the Applicant Screening Panel and background investigation
- Be found, after examination by a Occupational Health to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental conditions which might adversely affect his / her exercising the powers or duties of a Deputy Sheriff
- Successfully complete the job-related academy as provided for by this agency
Must be accompanied by legible copies (no originals) of the following documents:
- DD214 with Separation Information (for those with military experience)
- High school diploma, transcript bearing graduation date, or GED certificate
- Birth certificate
- Social Security card
- Valid driver's license (must possess a valid VA driver’s license before being hired)
- Copies of any other job-related documents you desire
Applications received without the required documentation will not be considered.
When vacancies occur:
- Applications are reviewed for detail and experience
- A criminal history, driving record and credit check are completed
- Preliminary background check is conducted
- An interview is scheduled with our Applicant Screening Panel
- A polygraph examination is administered
Applicants successfully completing all phases of the employment process will be offered a position with the Richmond City Sheriff's Office contingent upon passing a physical exam and drug screen that is scheduled and offered by the agency.
You may download an employment application. Please complete the editable pdf application and return to the Justice Center in person or via mail. For any questions regarding the application, please call 804-646-0911.