Medicaid provides medical care coverage for low-income individuals and the elderly, blind, disabled, dependent children and pregnant
women. The program offers medical coverage for doctor visits, emergency room visits, hospitalization, prescriptions, medical supplies
and equipment, nursing home costs, and home health care. An individual may already be covered by health insurance and could be
eligible for Medicaid.
For more information on Medicaid coverage in Virginia, visit the
Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS).
The four main groups covered by Medicaid are:
- Low-income children who are US citizens or lawfully admitted immigrants
- Low-income pregnant women needing coverage during their pregnancy and for their infant
- Low-income individuals who are aged (over 65), blind or disabled
- "Medically needy" children with expensive medical care that qualifies their family for coverage.
Children who do not meet the income eligibility requirement for Medicaid could be eligible for coverage through
To apply for Medicaid, please follow these steps.
- Use the Online tool to screen for eligibility.
- Complete the Online application.
- Print out and complete a Paper application / Spanish version available here -
Aquí disponible versión en Español - Presentar una Solicitud escrita.
- Visit one of our three locations / Visite una de nuestras tres localizaciones -
Marshall Plaza ( 900 East Marshall Street )
Southside Community Services Center ( 4100 Hull Street )
East District Center ( 701 North 25th Street )
Call (804)646-1262 Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM for information on the application process.
Call Cover Virginia to apply by phone - Toll Free: 1-855-242-8282 or TDD: 1-888-221-1590
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM, and Saturday 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM.