Richmond VA > Social Services > Programs > Nutrition Assistance (Food Stamps)

Last Updated: 2014-05-30

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps program, helps low-income individuals and families buy food and meet their families' nutritional needs. SNAP is a federal program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Benefits are issued through Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards, like an ATM card, that can be used in place of cash to buy food as a supplement to the family's food budget. The EBT cards are accepted at most grocery stores.

Applicants to the program must be residents of the city of Richmond, meet income and resource guidelines and have identification.

To apply for foods stamps:

Visit one of the three Social Services locations.

  • Marshall Plaza Building
  • Southside Community Service Center
  • East District Center

I’ve lost my Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. How do I get a new one?

If an EBT card is lost, stolen or damaged, the cardholder can call the toll free, 24-hour Virginia EBT Customer Service Help Line at (866)281-2448. After verifying the identity and address of the cardholder, the original card will be deactivated and a new one issued. If the cardholder’s address has changed, the cardholder must notify RDSS of the address change by calling 311 or their Benefit Program S pecialist. To obtain a new card in an emergency, contact Richmond Department of Social Services by calling 311 or visiting a service location.

How do I check the balance available on my EBT card?

To check the balance available on the EBT card to make food purchases, cardholders can call the customer service line at (866)281-2448 and enter the 16 digits on the front of the card. At the point of purchase, some stores will allow the cardholder to swipe the card, enter the PIN and check the available balance. Cardholders can also access their balance and transaction history online by selecting "Virginia" and logging in or creating an account.

Where do I send the information verifying my application for SNAP?

If you were instructed to send additional information for your application, please send copies in an envelope, with the name of your Benefit Program Specialist, if known, to

900 E. Marshall St.
Richmond, VA 23219

Information for Seniors?

Senior Navigator

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write

USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

Contact Information:

Social Services
City of Richmond
Marshall Plaza Building
900 E. Marshall St.
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Customer Care Center: 3-1-1


East Richmond:
East District Center
701 North 25th Street
Richmond, VA 23223-6539
Map It

Marshall Plaza Building
900 East Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1538
Map It

South Richmond:
Southside Community Service Center
4100 Hull Street Road
Richmond, VA 23224-1745
Map It

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.