Located at 4305 Sulgrave Road, this English manor home, was originally
built in the 15th century. Then it was dismantled, transported to Richmond and
totally reconstructed in 1928. Note the leaded glass windows, original Tudor
and Stuart artifacts, authentic furnishings and formal gardens.
For additional information, call (804)353-4241.
Located at 1109 W. Franklin St., the museum features artifacts of
international, national and local Jewish life and history. It is open to the
public Sunday through Thursday from 10 am to 3 pm. For information on exhibits,
guided tours, lectures or volunteer opportunities, please call (804)353-2668.
Located at 1142 W. Grace St., this National Historic Landmark was
restored to its Federal Period grandeur. It houses the Monument Avenue Museum,
The US Marine Raider Museum and the Military Knife and Bayonet Museum.
For additional information, call (804) 353-1812.
Located at 00 Clay Street, Carroll Anderson founded the museum in 1981 before
moving the museum to its current location. The museum is a neoclassical style
structure built in 1832 and purchased by Maggie L. Walker in 1922. In 1932, it
became the African-American branch of the Richmond Public Library; in 1991 it
was converted to a museum and cultural center for visual, oral and written
records and artifacts commemorating the lives and accomplishments of Blacks in
Virginia from their arrival in 1619 to present. Artifacts, videos, historical
documents, and photographs are used to highlight the achievements of
African-Americans in Virginia through.
For more information, call (804)780-9093.
The Children's Museum of Richmond is located at 2626 W. Broad St.. Come
out and explore over 250 interactive exhibits including the wonders of flight,
illusions and astronomy in the 42,000 square-foot museum. An interactive,
hands-on museum for children ages 6 months to 12 years. Permanent participatory
exhibits include - How it Works, the Feeling Food Neighborhood, the Art Studio
and Our Great Outdoors. There is also an OMNIMAX film and multimedia
For more information, call (804)474-2667.
Located at 3215 E. Broad St., the museum stands on the eastern end of
downtown Richmond, at the site of the Civil War's famous Chimborazo Hospital.
Between 1861 and 1865 more than 75,000 Confederate soldiers received treatment
at this sprawling facility. The medical museum tells the story of those
patients and the hospital and physicians that cared for them. Using artifacts,
uniforms and documents, the exhibits describe the state of medicine in 1860. In
highlights the care of wounded and sick soldiers on the battlefields, and in
the many large centralized Richmond hospitals like Chimborazo. Chimborazo
Medical Museum is open to the public, free of charge from 9 - 5 daily.
For more information, call (804)226-1981.
Located between 19th & 20th Streets on East Main Street, this museum features exhibits on the life and career of Edgar
Allan Poe. By documenting his accomplishments with pictures, relics, and verse,
and focusing on his many years in Richmond; visitors get a glimpse of what
Edgar Allan Poe was like. Five small buildings and an enclosed garden house the
poet's possessions and memorabilia.
For more information, please call (804)648-5523.
Located at Ninth and Marshall Streets, this house was the home of John Marshall for 45 years. He was
the pioneer chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. The house was built in
1790 and is the oldest brick house surviving the City. Restored as a house
museum, it contains artifacts from Marshall's home and professional life.
For more information, call (804)648-1889.
Located at 110-1/2 E. Leigh St., the Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site commemorates the life of
a progressive and talented African American woman. Despite many adversities, she achieved
success in the world of business and finance. She was the first woman in the
United States to found and serve as president of a bank. The bank she founded,
now Consolidated Bank & Trust, is the oldest surviving black-operated bank in
the United States. The site includes her residence of thirty years and a
visitor center detailing her life and the Jackson Ward community, in which, she
lived and worked. The house is restored to its 1930's appearance with original Walker family pieces.
For more information, call (804)780-1380.
Located at 1700 Hampton St., this 100-acre Victorian estate, once home of Major James H. and Sallie May Dooley,
was bequeathed to the City of Richmond in 1925. Features include: nature center
and gardens, a carriage collection, children's farm and native Virginia wildlife exhibits (with more than 300 animals, almost 60 species), and the
restored mansion. Since 1975, Maymont has been maintained and operated by the private nonprofit Maymont Foundation.
For more information, call (804)358-7166.
Meadow Farm Museum/Crump Park
Located at 3400 Mountain in Richmond, this 1860's living historical farm
recreates the life of a middle-class rural family. Changing exhibits, gift shop
and orientation videos are features in the orientation center.
For more information, call (804)501-5520.
Located at 1201 E. Clay St., adjacent to the
restored historic White House of the Confederacy, this modern facility holds
the world's most comprehensive collection of military, political and domestic
artifacts and art associated with the period of the Confederacy, 1861-1865.
For more information, call (804)649-1861.
Located at 102 Hull St., steam, passenger, freight and other artifacts
of Virginia's rail heritage are on display near the 1831 birthplace of Virginia
railroading. For more information, call (804)233-6237.
Located at 3215 E. Broad St., in the Chimborazo Park Visitor's Center
Between 1861 and 1865, Union armies repeatedly set out to capture Richmond, the
capital of the Confederacy, to end the Civil War. Three of those campaigns came
within a few miles of the city. The park commemorates eleven different sites
associated with those campaigns, including the battlefields at Gaines' Mill,
Malvern Hill and Cold Harbor. Established in 1936, the park protects 763 acres
of historic ground. Begin with an explanatory film, and then tour the
well-preserved sites of the Civil War battle fields. There are history programs
and more at the Chimborazo Park Visitors Center.
For more information, call (804)226-1981.
Located at 2500 W. Broad St., this museum offers wonderful hands-on
learning and fun. There is also a planetarium and special shows all year.
For more information, call (804)864-1400.
Located on the University of Richmond campus, the university has three
museums: The Lora Robins Gallery of Design from Nature, The Marsh Art Gallery
and The Joel and Lila Harnett Print Study Center.
For more information, call
Located at 1015 E. Clay St., this museum features the life and history
of Richmond. Major changing exhibitions focus on American urban and social
history, costumes, decorative arts and architecture. The museum's 1812 Wickham
House features rare neoclassical wall paintings.
For more information, call (804)649-0711.
Located at Richmond International Airport, 5701 Huntsman Road, the Virginia
Aviation Museum is a division of the Science
Museum of Virginia. This shrine to the "Golden Age of Aviation"
enhances the Science Museum's aerospace exhibits with its extensive collection
of vintage flying machines. Learn which planes earned the nicknames: Rolls
Royce, Cadillac and Flying Bathtub. Stroll past exhibits on pioneer aviation,
World War II and the Virginia Aviation Hall of Fame. Enjoy aviation films and
lectures in the Benn Theater. And if that's still not enough, how about getting
an up-close view of the incomparable SR-71 Blackbird!
For more information, call (804)236-3622.
Located at 200 W. Marshall St., this museum
houses antique fire and crime fighting memorabilia and operates as a museum and
educational center. The museum is a National Historic Landmark. Richmond has
the distinction of having the second oldest police force in the country and one
of the oldest fire departments as well.
Located at 2000 E. Cary St. in Shockoe Bottom, this museum is a
tribute to Holocaust survivors. It features hands-on children's exhibits and an
educational resource center. For more information, call (804)257-5400.
Located at 428 N. Boulevard, this museum offers a comprehensive
collection of Virginia History. Nine-museum galleries exhibit rarely seen
Virginia treasures. An extensive library for historical and genealogical
research is also available. For more information, please call (804)358-4901.
Located at 4301 Sulgrave Road, this reconstructed English manor was home to
Alexander Weddell, former United States Ambassador to Spain, and reflects his
fascination with England and its history. The gardens are one of the highlights of the tour.
For more information, call (804)353-4251.
This top ten comprehensive art museum features 5,000 years of artistic achievement from the glories of ancient Greece and
India, to contemporary international art. Major special exhibitions at all times. Also a not-to-be-missed museum shop, cafe´
and restaurant. Open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. For more information, call (804) 340-1400.
Located at 200 N. Boulevard.
Located at 2200 Mountain Road, this National Historic Landmark commemorates
the career of a pioneer of vocational education. For more information, call (804)261-5029.
Located at 215 S. Wilton Rd. off Cary Street, this house is an
impressive example of mid-18th century Georgian architecture with fine interior
paneling accented by exquisite period furnishings. Wilton house is one of
Richmond's architectural treasures.
For more information, call (804)282-5936.