The City of Richmond Department of Fire and Emergency Services is part of a high performance organization in the City of Richmond. Men and women are being recruited to join the Department and to choose a career as a fire fighter. If you desire to join an elite organization, enjoy learning, work well with others, and want to help people, then you may be an ideal candidate for joining the Richmond Department of Fire and Emergency Services.
The men and women of the Richmond Department of Fire and Emergency Services face new, exciting and challenging situations every day. You will fight fires, perform rescues, provide emergency medical assistance, become skilled in the use of sophisticated equipment, protect property and save lives. The satisfaction that comes from helping others and the pride in being one of a select group of highly trained professionals are just two of reasons for considering a position with the Richmond Fire Department as a fire fighter. It is much more than a job, it's a career.
The City of Richmond Department of Fire and Emergency Services recruits are on a two-year cycle. We are currently accepting applications for employment beginning Sunday, September 30, 2012 and ending Saturday, December 15, 2012. Application is made through the NEOGOV system on the City’s HR website located at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/richmond/default.cfm and ALL communications with each applicant will be by email. Therefore, it is essential that you keep your email address current. It will take approximately six months to complete the application, testing, interviewing, and conditional employment check process. It is a highly competitive process with over three thousand applicants during our last recruitment. The number of entry-level firefighters hired directly relates to the number of firefighters leaving either through retirement or resignation and that is a difficult number to project.
The minimum qualifications for this position include a HS degree, a driver's license (VA license required at time of hiring) and you must be at least 18 years old at time of hiring. There are other restrictions that automatically disqualify an applicant including conviction of any felony. More details are available on the Fire Recruit job specification information found on the City’s HR website or further down this page. We have a 20-week training academy that all new firefighters must attend regardless of experience or prior rank. We have career development at all class titles below Fire Lieutenant (CDP is currently suspended).
Fire Fighter Eligibility Criteria
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a GED equivalent;
- Hold a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving record;
- Be able to work variable hours;
- Pass the pre-employment process (written exam, interviews, physical agility
- Pass background investigation and psychological evaluation;
- Pass zero tolerance (illegal) drug screen;
- Satisfactorily complete an extensive medical exam;
- Conviction of any felony;
- Conviction of more than one DWI/DUI;
- Conviction of any DUI within five years of date of application or date of hire;
- If the applicant has more than minus seven traffic points on their drivers license at date of application or date of hire;
- If the applicant has accumulated more than a total of minus 12 traffic points on their drivers license in the last 12 months;
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of any offense that denies the applicant licensure as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT);
A candidate's sex, age, color, race, religion or other factors not related to
organizational abilities will not be considered in the selection process. The Richmond
Department of Fire and Emergency Services is an equal opportunity employer.
For additional information, call (804)646-2500.
Entry-Level Firefighter Study Guides & Practice Tests