Last Updated: 2010-01-07

Natural gas smells like rotten eggs. If you think you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 911. For more information, visit the Natural Gas Safety page.

What do I do if I want to request new services, transfer services, or disconnect services?

Call (804)646-4646 between 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, to have your gas or water service turned on, transferred, or disconnected, preferably three to five days before service is needed. Be at the service location on the scheduled date and time for service installation.

If your street requires an additional streetlight, call (804)646-8500 for an application.

If you are building a new home or business or converting current appliances to natural gas, call (804)646-5250.

Step-by-step instructions for processing a gas installation.

What do I do if I want to report an emergency or problem?

Call the 24-hour emergency number (804)646-4646

  • To report strong, persistent gas odors (place the call away from the building where you smell the odor)
  • To report a major water leak in your home or in the street
  • If there is a sewer backup in your home or a broken sewer line in the street
  • If you see a streetlight that is broken or out, call (804)646-8555.

What do I do if I am hearing-impaired?

For customer account information, call 711 and have them route you to (804)646-4646, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For gas, water, sewer or streetlight emergencies, also call 711 and have them route you to (804)646-4646 at any time.

What do I do if I want to read my gas meter?

diagram of a Water Meter with clock faces

  1. The dials on the meter are marked in units of 10. The first and third dials are read counter-clockwise. The second and fourth dials are read clockwise (the direction shown by the arrows.)
  2. To check the reading on your meter, if the hand is between numbers, write down the lower number. Write down the readings on the other dials across the meter left to right, ending with the 1,000 dial.
  3. Gas is measured in units of hundred cubic feet or ccf. The dial above shows 7, 0, 6 and 3 or 7,063 ccf.
  4. Subtract this reading from the last one and the difference is how much gas was used since the last reading.

What do I do if I want my pilot light lit?

The Department of Public Utilities will light your gas furnace by appointment for a $35 service charge. To make an appointment, call (804)646-4646.

What do I do if I want to qualify for MetroCare?

The application period runs from Dec. 15 to April 30 each year. If your income falls below the Federal Poverty Guidelines, you are unemployed, or have a family crisis, you may apply at one of the following locations:

  • Richmond Community Action Program
    1021 Oliver Hill Way
    Phone Number: (804)788-0050
    Hours of Operation: 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

The maximum amount of assistance is $500. For more information, call (804)646-4646.

What do I do if I am a senior citizen?

The Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled program is administered by the city's Finance Department. If you are eligible for this program, you will be exempt from solid waste and recycling fees on your utility bill.

For more information, call (804)646-5700 and press 3 or view the city of Richmond Tax Relief page.

The Department of Public Utilities offers several other programs specifically for seniors. For more information on the benefits listed below, call (804)646-4646.

  1. Winter Service Assurance - suspends shut-offs for nonpayment from December 1 through March 31.
  2. Accounts marked as being owned by seniors do not incur late fees.
  3. Most security deposits are waived.
  4. Third-Party Notification - allows a designated third party to receive a copy of your utility bill and to take inquiries in your behalf.
  5. The Senior Weatherization Kit Giveaway - provides an assortment of weatherization and energy-saving tools.

What do I do if I have standing water and want my storm drain cleaned?

Request city services online, or call (804)646-4646.

What do I do if I have to connect to the city sewer system and stop using a septic system?

A plumbing contractor can assist you with the necessary permits and construction to do that. The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development administers several programs that provide water and wastewater systems to low-income communities in Virginia; however, Richmond is not considered an eligible community as these programs are designed for rural areas. If you need financial assistance to afford a contractor, consult with your mortgage lender about an equity line loan for home improvements, or research charitable organizations that assist seniors and low-income families with home improvements.

RVA Impact Map displays projects (i.e. gas, water, paving, etc.), events (i.e. parades, races, block parties, etc.) and right of way impacts (i.e. detours, partial and full lane closures, barricades, parking restrictions, etc.) as an interactive map for informational and navigational purposes. Data displayed is refreshed as changes are made.

Contact Information:

Public Utilities
City of Richmond
900 E. Broad St.,
Room 115
Richmond, VA
23219 USA
Map It
Phone: (804)646-4646
Interested in learning about how our award winning water is treated and transported to your home or how the water that leaves your home is treated and placed back into the James River? Request a tour of our Water Treatment Plant or Wastewater Treatment Plant. Click here to fill out the form.

This is a print version of the webpage. The navigation of the site has been removed through the print css. If you require a printout of the page as it looks in your browser, please use screen capture.